The power and importance of words to build trust and instil a sense of belonging cannot be overstated. When we choose words and use language that reflect parents’ and caregivers’ lived experience and identity, we take another step closer to building an alliance with them.
The Glossary created for our PLM on Equity and Inclusion is a great resource to guide us through that. However, in case we feel undue pressure to have all the right words at the right time, it is important to remember that:
- we will never learn all the right language;
- we will always make mistakes, everyone does;
- asking about words is a great thing to do;
- words change and become outdated;
- we need to allow the community to determine the terminology;
- apologizing for a terminology error is a good option.