Please use the following as a discussion guide to maximize the use of the short film here, which can serve as a tool for teachers and school staff members to better understand students’ experiences of youth empowerment.
The story told in the film is an example of students’ challenges, successes and obstacles as agents of positive change at their school. The film is not intended to demonstrate an ideal model or template for teachers or schools regarding youth empowerment in a school setting.
Two students tell the story of how their project about rape culture and the media grew into an online campaign for education about consent and received the attention of the mainstream media and the premier of Ontario.
Young people’s capacity and insight and the importance of enabling them to have a voice and shape their lives
- Importance of transformation from rape culture to consent culture through education from a young age
- Negative and undermining effects of adultism on young people
- Young people’s feelings of power and confidence when adults listen to them and believe in them
- Right of young people to influence decisions that affect their lives
- Young people’s achievements when they are encouraged to act on their passions and interests
- Young leaders as a source of inspiration for their peers
- Using the curriculum as a vehicle for student-centred learning
- Seeking young people’s perspectives when making decisions that affect them
- Young people engaging with their community on issues that concern them
- Young people using social media to have a voice about issues that affect their lives
- Providing education about consent beginning with young children
Questions for Group Discussion
- What are some of the messages this story offers?
- What was the impact of this project? On the students involved? On the larger society?
- What examples of adultism did the students give?
- What does this story tell us about young people’s ability to influence their lives?
- What role did adults play in supporting the students telling this story?
- What strategies for adults to facilitate youth empowerment are illustrated by this story?